The COVID-19 symptom surveys are designed to help researchers better monitor and forecast the spread of COVID-19. In partnership with University of Maryland and Carnegie Mellon University, Facebook users are invited to take surveys conducted by these two partner universities to self-report COVID-19-related symptoms. The surveys may be used to generate new insights on how to respond to the crisis, including heat maps of self-reported symptoms. This information may help health systems plan where resources are needed and potentially when, where, and how to reopen parts of society.
University of Maryland’s Joint Program in Survey Methodology is the survey host for the non-US Survey and Carnegie Mellon University’s Delphi Research Group is the survey host for the US survey. Both universities collaborated with the broader public health community in the design of the surveys. Facebook does not host the surveys nor collect survey participant responses, and only has access to public, aggregated survey data provided by the universities. To ensure that the survey is representative of the characteristics of the population, Facebook calculates and shares a survey weight to help researchers correct for sampling bias.
Publicly Available Aggregated Data
- Aggregated US survey data are made available to the public by Carnegie Mellon University’s Delphi Research Group.
- Aggregated non-US survey data are made available to the public by University of Maryland
Request Access to Non-Aggregated Data for Research Purposes
Academic and nonprofit researchers may request access to non-public, non-aggregated survey data for their research. This includes daily files with the survey variables and weights. Once a request is approved by Facebook and UMD or CMU (“Partner Universities”), the researcher’s institution must have signed Data Use Agreements (DUAs) in place before data access will be provided. Please see more information below about what information to include in requests, eligibility and data use agreements.
Requests should include:
- Project summary – Submit a 1-page description of the project and analysis plan, including why non-aggregated data are required and any complementary work.
- Administrative information – Name, email and title of the official authorized to sign contracts on behalf of your institution.
Data Use Agreements
- Institutions will need to sign different DUAs for access to non-aggregate survey data from UMD and CMU, as well as weights from Facebook. Survey data and weights will be shared with researchers by CMU and UMD.
- To access non-aggregate US survey data, institutions will need to sign DUAs with CMU and Facebook.
- To access non-aggregate non-US survey data, institutions will need to sign a DUA with UMD.
- Researchers may access non-public, non-aggregated survey data only if the appropriate DUAs have been executed by the institutions with which they are affiliated. All DUAs must be executed by an official authorized to sign on behalf of each respective institution.
- Given the scale of this project, please note that the terms of the DUAs are NOT negotiable, and Facebook and Partner Universities are not able to accommodate changes to DUAs on a per university basis. If your institution would like to review the Facebook DUA in advance, please send a request via email to email@example.com. Institutions unwilling to accept these agreements should not request access and may use the publicly available aggregated survey data from CMU and UMD.
- Once we have the appropriate DUAs in place with an institution, additional research teams from that institution must submit a request to access the data needed for their project through the link on this page. If approved, no additional DUAs will be required.
- Only academic and non-profit researchers may request access to non-public, non-aggregated survey data.
- Other criteria may be used by Facebook and/or the Partner Universities in determining eligibility and approving a request for access.
We understand that speed is important in responding to the COVID-19 crisis and our goal is to provide researchers access to the survey data as soon as possible. We will do our best to review requests in a timely manner.
Questions: Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualtrics Preview Links
- US survey questionnaire from CMU
- Non-US survey questionnaire from UMD (EU)
- Non-US survey questionnaire from UMD (Non-EU)
Terms and Conditions
Facebook and the Partner Universities’ decisions will be final in all matters relating to any request to access survey data (as further described on this website), including interpretation of these Terms and Conditions at any time. Please read the terms carefully before proceeding.
- By submitting a request for data, you are authorizing Facebook and the Partner Universities to evaluate your request, and you agree to the terms herein. You also represent and warrant that you are at least 18 years of age and that you are authorized to act and submit a request to access survey data on behalf of your organization.
- You agree that Facebook and the Partner Universities will not be required to treat any part of your request as confidential or protected by copyright, and may use, edit, modify, copy, reproduce and distribute all or a portion of your request in any manner for the sole purposes of evaluating the contents of your request to access the survey data.
- You agree and acknowledge that any personal data included with your request, including any name, title, mailing address, phone number and email address of you and other named researchers, may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by Facebook and the Partner Universities for the purposes of evaluating the request to access survey data and administering the website.
- You acknowledge and agree that: a) none of the parties are obligated to enter into any contract, agreement or business transaction as a result of your request, b) Facebook and the Partner Universities are under no obligation to review or consider your request or enter into any correspondence in relation to your request, and c) none of the parties acquire any intellectual property rights as a result of the data request.
- Any feedback you provide to Facebook and the Partner Universities in the request regarding Facebook or Partner University’s products or services will not be treated as confidential or protected by copyright, and Facebook and Partner Universities are free to use such feedback on an unrestricted basis with no compensation to you.
- You acknowledge that you have no legal right to access the survey data, in whole or in part, and that any decision to grant you such access is at the sole discretion of Facebook and the Partner Universities. You agree not to challenge or dispute any such determination. You further acknowledge that if your request is approved, you may only access survey data if the institution with which you are affiliated has signed all appropriate data use agreements.
- You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and us as a result of these Terms and Conditions or our acceptance of your request.
- Facebook and the Partner Universities reserve the right to remove or revoke at any time any approval that we may grant you at the sole discretion of Facebook and the Partner Universities and without prior notice.
- In the event any provision of these Terms and Conditions is held unenforceable, it will not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions and will be replaced by an enforceable provision that comes closest to the intention underlying the unenforceable provision.