To better understand the perspectives, challenges, and opportunities of small and medium sized businesses around the world, Facebook and partners collaborate to collect and share timely information with the broader community. This program includes surveys and reports covering both the United States and countries around the world, as well as topical summaries and briefs on particular areas of interest.
U.S. State of Small Business
As part of continuing efforts to support U.S. Small and Medium-sized Businesses (SMBs), Facebook, in collaboration with the Small Business Roundtable, conducted a study of SMBs, employees, and consumers to gain a deeper understanding of the challenges that remain in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. This effort started with a survey in April 2020 at the onset of the pandemic followed by another one by the end of the year. The two surveys combined allow us to evaluate how the impacts on SMBs, their employees, and their clients have developed throughout 2020.
The results of the most recent effort are based on a representative survey of Facebook users, conducted between 20 November and 20 December 2020. The survey captures the views of 11,203 online business leaders, 8,066 employees, and 6,666 consumers across the United States.
We invite you to explore further insights in the below materials:
- U.S. State of Small Business Report: This report provides the detailed findings from the December survey with changes that occurred since April across all dimensions covered by the survey related to the SMBs sales, management, finances, work life balance, well being, as well as employees and consumer challenges. The report highlights the observed disparities between women and men and within minority communities.
- Executive Summary One-Pager: This one-pager highlights key findings such as number of businesses closed as of December 2020, how long before businesses expect operations to return to normal, and number of businesses who have increased their use of digital tools.
- Executive Summary Slide Deck: This slide deck summarizes key findings such as closure rates of businesses, increased use of digital channels for sales, unique challenges faced by female business leaders, and more.
- Methodology Brief: This white paper provides detail on the survey and sampling methods used to develop, field, and analyze the United States Small and Medium Business Survey from December for transparency and to shed more light on representativeness of the results across SMBs, employees, and customers.
- Minority Brief: This brief examines the impact that COVID-19 has had on SMBs in majority-minority neighborhoods, including business closures, sales and employment, compared to non-minority neighborhoods, using results from the December 2020 survey.
Global State of Small Business
The 2020 Global State of Small Business Reports, based on The Future of Business Survey, was a research collaboration by Facebook, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and the World Bank to survey small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) around the world over a six-month period in the context of COVID-19. The aim of these 2020 surveys, together with the associated reports and updates, was to provide a window into SMBs’ experiences amid COVID-19. As we measured the pandemic’s effects on business closures, revenue, employment, and finances, we also gained insight into SMBs’ needs and challenges.
To read more about these 2020 reports and surveys, go here. More information about global 2021 data is expected to be available soon.
Unweighted aggregate data can be found on the Humanitarian Data Exchange here, and researchers interested in accessing the microdata can email firstname.lastname@example.org